Smoked bbq bologna is one of the greatest surprises to come off of my smoker.
When my good friend Jason Shawver told me he had smoked some bologna I fully believed he’d been smoking something, but not necessarily bologna, if you know what I mean.
But then he brought me a sample to try and I could not believe what I was eating. It was so good!
Now I’d always been a fan of bologna anyway, but this was by FAR the best bologna I’d ever tasted.
So I asked him to come show us how to smoke bologna like the barbecue champ he is.
How to Make Smoked BBQ Bologna
After removing all the packaging, take a super thin knife to poke holes, perforating the bologna all the way around.
Next roll it around in your favorite BBQ rub so that all sides have a good coating.
Place the bologna standing up on end on a hot grill around 300-350 degrees over indirect heat. We recommend smoking pecan wood.
Smoke the bbq bologna chunk for about 45 minutes and then transfer it to a large sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil.
Glaze the smoked bologna with your favorite BBQ sauce and then loosely wrap up the foil to create a loose tent around the bologna. Return it to the smoker for another 45 minutes.
Carefully unwrap the BBQ bologna, slice it up, and enjoy!
BBQ Bologna Tips
- If you can’t smoke this using indirect heat, this chunk of bologna can also be grilled much like you would a hot dog, turning and rotating it throughout the cook.
- Ask your grocery store deli clerk for help getting this large chunk of bologna. Don’t use pre-sliced. It won’t be the same.
- When poking holes in your bologna, be sure to use a knife with a very thin blade.
- When wrapping your bbq sauced bologna chunk in foil, do your best to not let the foil touch the sides of the bologna and disrupt the glaze.
- aluminum foil
- thin blade knife
- 2 lb. chunk of bologna
- ½ cup barbecue rub
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- Unwrap the bologna chunk.
- Use a very thin blade knife to poke holes through all the sides and edges of the bologna to allow barbecue flavors to seep inside throughout the cook.
- Spread about ½ cup of your favorite barbecue rub on a plate and roll the bologna chunk around in it to fully coat all sides with rub.
- Heat grill to about 300-350 degrees and add pecan wood to the fire.
- Set bologna on the grill standing up on its end, using indirect heat to cook. If using direct heat, lay it down on its side and cook like a hot dog, periodically rolling it around to ensure even cooking on all sides.
- After about 45 minutes, transfer bologna to a large sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Coat the entire bologna with a good amount of your favorite barbecue sauce and fold the aluminum foil to create a tent, sealing the bologna inside.
- Return the wrapped bologna to the grill for another hour.
- Unwrap the bologna and slice to eat.
Leave a Comment