When we’re not cooking with our kids in mind, Melissa sometimes lets me bring a little heat to our recipes. One of our guest judges in our Smoked Queso 5 Ways video labeled this recipe the “evil twin” of the classic smoked queso. And she couldn’t have been more right. Be sure to check out our “5 Ways” post to see more variations of the classic smoked queso recipe.
Spicy Smoked Queso
- 3/4 lb Velveeta cubed
- 8 oz pepper jack cheese shredded
- 1 lb. hot sausage browned
- 10 oz Rotel
- ½ cup green chilies
- 1 onion diced and sautéed
- 2 poblano peppers fire roasted and diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 jalapeno sliced, for garnish
- Brown the sausage and sauté the diced onion in a pan.
- If you can, roast the poblanos over a fire (grill, gas burner, etc.), place them in a paper bag to steam, peel off the charred skin, and then dice. Otherwise, dice the poblano and sauté along with the onion.
- Combine all ingredients in a cast iron or disposable aluminum pan.
- Place pan in a grill or smoker (indirect heat) at 300° for 45 minutes. Stir half-way through.